Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reading Group: 20 September 2011

Next week we read Chapter 1: The Actual Entity from A Key to Whitehead's Process and Reality.
Date: 20 September, 2011 (Tuesday) 
Time: 2.00 pm 
Venue: Library, Department of Philosophy, University of Delhi


'Actual entities', also termed 'actual occasions', are the final real things of which the world is made up. There is no going behind actual entities to find anything more real. (A. N. Whitehead. 1978. Process and Reality. New York: Free Press. p. 18)



I showed my masterpiece to the grown-ups, and asked them whether the drawing frightened them. But they answered: Frighten? Why should any one be frightened by a hat? My drawing was not a picture of a hat. It was a picture of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant. But since the grown-ups were not able to understand it, I made another drawing: I drew the inside of a boa constrictor, so that the grown-ups could see it clearly. They always need to have things explained. My drawing number two looked like this.



[Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince]




No comments:

Post a Comment